Friday, November 19, 2010

Funny, but oh - so - true...

Last Friday, my Mom, sister, and I went on our annual visit to the Houston Nutcracker Market. It was so much fun! We had some quality "girl time" as we oohed and ahhed over all of the gorgeous "boutique" ladies clothing, shoes, home decor, Christmas decor, and food selections.

There are around 250 vendors, with gorgeously decorated booths set against a backdrop of cheery holiday music. It always helps us "get in the holiday mood".........

This year I got a darling pair of shoes (with bling on the toe, of course), a flower pin, and three Christmas decorations. Well, we shopped from 1:00 in the afternoon until closing, which was 8:00, and so we were getting really hungry as closing time approached. One of the last vendors we visited smelled wonderful! It was a food booth, and they were offering samples of soup and dip mixes, as well as a jar of this scrumptious garlic spread to put on toasted French Bread.

The smell lured us long before we ever saw the booth, and our tummies growled hungrily.... so of course we just had to sample the garlic toast....... and then we decided we COULD NOT leave without a jar of the yummy stuff!
As we left the Market, we happily clutched our treasures in our tight little fists, and dragged our tired feet to the car. We Came! We Saw! We Shopped! Woohoo!
We were so tired from all of that walking when we finally arrived home, but we gamely got all of the bags from my car and carried them into our homes..... or so we thought.......
Guess what got left in my trunk????
If you said the shoes, you are wayyyyy off! What could it be but the garlic spread??? I mean, really?? As my Mom opened my trunk the next day, her head whipped up and she said: "ohhhh noooo!" Yup, the Garlic spread was very pungent, and not quite as yummy smelling as before........ and it had leaked..... BUT it was contained in the bag that it came in, and we had nothing to worry about......or so we thought.........
So that is why we were pulled over at a gas station later that evening, (after going to Dillard's) frantically lifting clothes out of my trunk and sniffing them like mad to see if any scent of garlic could be detected ............A faint whiff of garlicky perfume emanating from the trunk had just announced to us that it had definitely NOT been contained in the bag it came in!!!! "Smell this one," Mom would yell..... and I would reply: "Hmmm.... just a touch of garlic...... not bad..." "Well then, how about this one?" She would exclaim; shoving the questionable garment into my arms........And that's why we looked up in the midst of "operation bloodhound" to see other gas station customers giving us some VERRRRY strange looks...... and we couldn't help but start giggling, then belly -laughing at their expressions, as we imagined how we must have looked, wildly sniffing all of those clothes!! (I had forgotten about some clothes in the trunk from an out - of - town trip, and we had a couple of new things from Dillard's in there too........)

Well, all I can say after this "Extreme Scented Adventure" is this:
Thank the Lord for good tough clothes bags!

4 comments:

  1. Hahahaha!This is sooo funny, Jen!I know what y'all adventures are like, and I almost felt like I was there with y'all when I was reading this!What a memory:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, if you could have seen the people at the gas station...

    There was this one nurse staring......

    what was so funny is we didn't realize we were being observed.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenni this is such a a funny story, I can just see you all sniffing those clothes, this is something that I thought only happens to me. I really like the fact that you all took it in stride. I also am so glad that you, your mother and sister have special times together.
    Thanks for sharing this special one. Wishing you and your family a most blessed Thanksgiving.
    Hugs, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there, Sue! I wish you could have been a "bug on the wall" seeing that situation... you would have laughed for sure...

    Our friends tease us because we have gotten into some reallllly funny situations before!

    And a Very Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, too!

    ReplyDelete