Saturday, November 13, 2010

Sentimental Silver


(click on photo for a closer look)
I have often dreamed of owning an Antique Silver Coffee/Tea Service. To me, these gorgeous sets are the very embodiment of the graciousness of the Old South; as though Scarlett might drift through the parlour at any moment exclaiming: "fiddle - dee - dee!" and Aunt Pittypat and Peachtree street is just "up the road a piece"...
As though you just might catch a glimpse of a Spanish Moss draped Oak, or a Magnolia Tree in full bloom reflected in the rounded splendor of the Coffee Urn, if you were to look hard enough...
In my opinion, one of these shining services postitioned "just so" on a lovely Antique Sideboard or Buffet seems to exemplify the warm graciousness and genteel hospitality that is such a hallmark of the South.........
I could not afford the set of my dreams, so imagine my delight one Christmas Eve, when my sister gifted me with the most darling substitute! It's only sliver - plated, but to me it is far more dear than the most expensive and "pedigreed" set that money could buy. The beautiful shimmer that one sees on it is from the spirit of love in which it was given.........
It will always be among my most treasured things, and I know without a doubt that it is worth much more than anything Scarlett or Aunt Pittypat ever owned....

2 comments:

  1. I think your silver service is just beautiful! And I agree the gift is made much more valuable by the giver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carolyn, you are a dear to visit and comment!

    Yes, the set is so valuable to me because my sweet little sister gave it to me, and I will always love it...

    ReplyDelete