Thursday, June 16, 2011

Shopping in Galveston













As I had mentioned in the previous post, last Saturday my family and I spent the day on Galveston Island, Texas. It is an island off the Texas coast that opens into the gulf of Mexico. It is a place rich in history, and so interesting to visit. The famous pirate Jean Lafitte hung around there, and later, during WW2, German subs regularly prowled the Gulf Coast off of Galveston. One of the more fascinating stories about Galveston, is that of the terrible 1900 hurricane, known as The Great Storm; that killed thousands and devestated the entire island. As a result, sand was dredged from the ocean floor, and hauled in to raise the island eight feet higher. A sea wall was also built to help withstand the pounding waves of future storms. It has done a pretty good job, but the storm surge from hurricane Ike in 2008, did manage to tear up quite a bit of Galveston and other areas of the Gulf Coast pretty badly.


Above are some pictures I took of displays in a store called "The Admiralty". It is located in the Strand shopping district of Galveston, and I enjoyed looking at all of the "beachy" themed items they had for sale.... please enlarge the bottom photo for a closer look at the angels made out of sea shells. Aren't they cute?


I hope all of you have a wonderful weekend!

7 comments:

  1. Good Morning Jenni, Very interesting facts about Galvaston, Enjoyed the photos of the shop. It really looks like a fun day, I am wanting to get to our mountains for a few days, hopefully soon. Enjoy your day
    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I have visited there before you make me want to go again. :)
    Wonderful posts about the area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sue! Oh my, I am longing to get to the mountains, too! If I could, I would go every year! I've been to Colorado, Mountana, the Smokeys, and other mountains.... One always sees God's handiwork there! I have friends in Alaska, now I'd LOVE to visit there....
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Sis F. Yes, Galveston is a pretty interesting place... I just wish the outdoor musicals were still going on... we went several times every summer while I was growing up. Lots of fun memeories at Galveston! Thanks for stopping by today.

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  5. And hugs for both of you, dear friends!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenni. This must have been such a fun adventure. I love history lessons... and today I've learned something new. Now if I can remember what I learned .. lol. I am loving those angels made from seashells. They are the sweetest!!! I hope you're having a good week. God bless you dear friend, and have a beautiful weekend!! Love to you from Gracie and me...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bobbi and Gracie! I enjoy history, too... I especially love books with a nice romance, but with a background of history where you learn something as you read....I could poke around in museums for hours, my family sometimes has been known to drag me out, haha! History just fascinates me....

    And God belss you too, dear friend, thanks for stopping by today!
    Hugs!
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete