Monday, June 13, 2011

An Old Fashioned Soda Fountain






















My Family and I took a trip to Galveston Island on Saturday. It was a beautiful day, albeit pretty hot! The sea breezes, blew, though, and the water was gorgeous.... We went shopping on "The Strand" (I'll share photos later of some of the pretty shops we saw) and we took a detour into La King's Old Fashioned Soda Fountain and Ice Cream Shop. It is like stepping into the past! Things are made the old fashioned way, and there was a man making salt water taffy by hand, and then he wrapped it and threw it into the crowd for people to catch and enjoy..... La King's also has an amazing candy counter full of all kinds of goodies, as well as wooden buckets of the salt water taffy...
and delicous, salty/buttery pop corn to offset all that sweetness! It was fun to enjoy a step back in time for a little while.....

I hope each of you had an enjoyable weekend, too!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jenni, you get to go to some of the neatest places, I love to wtch salt water taffy being made,reminds me of our state fair. Thanks for sharing, enjoy your week.
    I also enjoyed your last post too.
    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, Sue... I have always wanted to go to the Texas State Fair. We have never went, though, but maybe in the future! Galveston is a fun place to visit!

    Thanks for visiting today!
    Hugs,
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Jenni. This place is wonderful!! I love visiting places like this... It looks like you had a great time. Is this actually on an island? I can almost taste that taffy and popcorn. Yum-yum! Glad you enjoyed and thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bobbi and Gracie! Yes, Galveston is an Island off the Texas Coast where it meets the Gulf of Mexico. Jean Lafitte the Pirate
    hung around there, and a hurricane in 1900 almost destroyed the island and so it was filled with enough dirt and sand to raise the entire island 8 feet higher, in order to withstand another storm... a sea wall was also put in to help keep the waves off the island...

    It has an interesting past!
    Thanks for stopping by!
    Hugs,
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love ice cream but I can't have any for a very long time :o( ......I put myself on a diet...yuck! That place looks like a lot of fun too!!! you go to such neat places :o) have a nice evening! hugs, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jennifer! Good for you for going on the diet! I really need to go on a diet, I am looking at going to Weight Watchers, if I can get well....

    Thanks for stopping by today!
    Hugs,
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete