Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Sacred, Velvet Night

Earlier this evening I stepped outside for a moment, and, as the darkness gently settled around me like velvet, I paused, and simply stood still to enjoy it. Ah, Bliss! I looked up and took in the moon, on the wane now, after having been full for several days. A few gauzy lengths of cloud passed over, casting intriguing shadow - patches on the ground for a moment, and then, there was the moon again, in all it's silvery - shining glory. I could see the outline of the Big Dipper, all starry, steady in it's rightful place, exactly where God put it.

I could not resist quoting part of Psalm 8 to the Lord:

1 "O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens."

Though I did not quote verses 3 and 4 tonight, I have on other nights, and feel that they are especially appropriate:

3"When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;

4"What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?"

Our God is such a good God! He has created so many marvelous things, and yet He never forgets about us... even though we seem so small in comparison to His great big universe, and all the wonders that He has filled it with.

My family stepped outside to join me for a bit of "moon - gazing", and it made my heart smile. Things are changing all around us, often at a bewildering pace. But, for a moment in time on this late August night, we were together; wrapped in the sacred, velvet night that our wonderful God created. It was a memory - moment, frozen in time, that I will keep in my heart forever.

And it was beyond comforting to know later, after we had all gone back inside and readied ourselves for sleep, that there is One who will not sleep. No, for He never sleeps; instead, He watches over us, and loves us, and is there in the beauty of a Texas night in late August, when the moon is bright and silvery, and families are together.

No comments:

Post a Comment