Thursday, June 13, 2013

Good Habits versus Lazy Me!

    This is a photo of some food I got for a short-lived diet a while back...took a photo so that "after I lost alllll that weight...." I'd remember a typical meal !! Good Intentions.... but wasn't able to stick to it!

I've been thinking about establishing good habits and overcoming bad ones...In all areas of my life... in the things that I eat, in getting proper exercise, and, most importantly.... in my Spiritual life......NOT easy for a girl that likes to drink sweet tea and Dr. Pepper by the gallon.....loves to eat the yummies instead of the healthies.... hates to exercise, and is mightily tempted to pick up a new book or magazine, (with the intention of reading only one chapter, and then I'll read my Bible, but one chapter turns into two, and then three.... you get the picture) and is a master at rationalizing what I want to do!!! Why is it so easy and enjoyable to do things that aren't so good for me??? And why is it so difficult to do the things that are beneficial and healthy for me? I am reminded of several scriptures, (in regards to the things I struggle with Spiritually).....( After all, the Bible has the answer for EVERY Question or situation that we face!) and I want to share them with you....

Romans 7:18: "For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not."

Verse 22: "For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:"

Verse 23: "But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members."

So there I have the reason why it's so hard on my own to do the right things...from birth we have two natures within us... at war with one another.... The inward man, or spiritual part of us, that longs for God and His Ways and His Will... that longs to commune with Him and read His Word and spend time with Him That Created us..... and the Carnal or fleshly man.... that popped it's ugly head up when Adam and Eve disobeyed God way back in the Garden of Eden.... this part of our nature is lazy... doesn't want to be obedient to God or His Ways.... and wants it's Own Way at all times.....BUT!!! God in His Mercy and Goodness has shown us the way to Master that old Nature.... and it can only be done by being filled with His Spirit through Salvation (see Acts chapter 2).....When this happens... we receive power to overcome temptation....

Acts 1:8 contains this promise: "But ye shall receive power after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you...."

Phil. 4:13: "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

I Cor. 10:13:"There hath no temptation taken you but such as  is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."

Aren't these Amazing Promises of God? He will help His Children, no matter what we face.....we cannot change on our own....but, through Him.... we CAN!!

2 Cor. 5:17: "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; and behold, all things are become new."

I'm beginning to see that I, as a born - again, Spirit - filled child of God, too often live beneath my priviledges! I have Holy Ghost power to help me overcome, if I will take advantage of it! So when my old nature tries to pop back up....wanting to put off praying "until later".... wanting to read other things instead of my Precious Bible....not wanting to fast.....not wanting to bring my thoughts into subjection to Him....wanting to be impatient.... or wanting to have "THE "LAST last word in an argu... (ahem!!) energetic discussion (LOL).....I can stand on God's Word and OVERCOME..... I can't do it on my own.... but I can do all things through Him!

And You can too!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment