Saturday, May 26, 2012

Back to Bethel with all my heart......


       (This is a photo I took of a Magnolia Tree recently at Kemah)
As I reflect on a discussion I had with a dear student this week.....a song is on my heart.....
Draw me nearer,
Nearer blessed Lord
To the Cross
Where Thou hast died
Draw me nearer,
Nearer blessed Lord.....
To Thy Precious Bleeding side

My student and I were talking about  the story of Jacob's ladder, found in Genesis chapter 28.  And how that Jacob came to a special place as he was fleeing from the wrath of his brother Esau, after he had taken the blessing from Esau that was meant for the older son..... The Bible tells us in verse 11 of chapter 28,  that Jacob: "lighted upon a certain place, and tarried there all night, because the sun was set; and he took of the stones of that place, and put them for his pillows, and lay down in that place to sleep."

 Then Jacob has a dream of a ladder reaching up to heaven, with God's angel's ascending and descending upon it...... and then, the Lord God speaks to Jacob and gives some very important and precious promises to him.......and Jacob wakes from his slumber and says in verse 16: "Surely the LORD is in this place; and I knew it not." Verse 17 goes on: "And he was afraid, and said, How dreadful is this place! this is none other but the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven." And then Jacob set up the stone he had used for his pillow as a pillar and poured oil upon it.... consecrating it as an altar.... and he named it "Beth'-el",  which means "the house of God".....

Jacob was dedicating and consecrating himself to God, there is no doubt about that...... but he wasn't truly and completely changed until  he came to another special place of consecration as he was returning to his homeland, many years later..... and  wrestled with the angel until the breaking of the day, desiring a blessing from God...... the angel touched the hollow of Jacob's thigh..... and it caused him to limp for the rest of his life...... and he recieved a new name..... he was called "Israel" , for the angel in verse 28 of Genesis chapter 32 says: "Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel:  for as a prince hast thou power with with God and with men, and hast prevailed." And Jacob named this place "Peniel" which means "the face of God"..... Verse 30 tells us: "And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel : for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved."

I have been reflecting, dear friends, on times of consecration in my life.... times when I was completely and passionately dedicated to seeking God... doing my best to draw near to him.... what precious times of prayer and fasting they were! Oh how rich was the Glory of His dear presence.... how I would linger in prayer for hours......... and how He blessed me........what glorious memories I have of these times.... but I realize I cannot stop and rest on the experiences of the past....... I've got to return to those Beth-el and Peniel places in my life..... Oh I must consecrate again!  I must get beneath a surface relationship!  I must rediscover the passion! The Dedication! The seeking of God's face!  I cannot allow the things of life to side track me...... that is the enemy's dirty business, you know....  To let the cares of life overtake and choke the consecration, the prayer life, the fasting, the reading of God's Word, and the dedication out of the lives of God's children......

James 4:8 says: "Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you....."  I've got to go back to Beth'el and to Peniel with all my heart..... and I know without doubt Jesus is waiting for me there.... how about you, precious friend.  Will you go too? 

3 comments:

  1. Jenni, our church is reading one chapter of the Bible each day and I have just finished reading the scriptures that you mentioned so this is all fresh in my mind.
    I can't begin to tell you how much I needed this right now... I am so longing for that place again and to feel His presence in my life and am having a real hard time. The cares of this life can become so big that finding Jesus seems impossible. I am going to bookmark this post and read it again tomorrow and then again the next day and so on. Thank you dear friend, for this word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments, dear friends..... and Bobbi, I am so thankful that this post blessed you....you are in my prayers.....I know that the cares of life can get you donw, but remember He careth for you! And I am honored to be your friend, Soraya! Hugs!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear friend Jenni, hope all is well with you and that your health is in tip top shape. I sincerely wish you well. Thank you so much for all your visits, I appreciate them. I have had some difficult times in my life and have seeked God, he made his presence believe me. He is always there for us, not only when we need him for problems in our life but always. I talk to him on a daily basis and know he is always here with me. We are truly blessed with his presence. I thank you for your friendship, dear Jenni. Blessings and prayers...Lu

    ReplyDelete