Saturday, May 22, 2010

Love and Marriage

What a wonderful day! Today my family and I traveled to East Texas to my cousin's wedding. The ceremony took place in a quaint little cabin deep in the piney woods, and the vows were said in the glassed-in sun porch area overlooking the lake. It was all very low-key, but so sweet. I could see purple water-lilys floating on the edge of the water from my perch next to one of the windows, and I just knew the squirrels, birds, rabbits and other forest creatures all around us were sending as many warm wishes to my cousin and his bride as we were!

I couldn't help thinking about how beautiful and precious is the thread that binds families together. It is invisible, but so strong. Even though we may live many miles apart, and see each other only once in a great while, the family-thread wraps around our hearts and makes it seem as if no time has elapsed at all since we were last together. A thousand shared memories crowd into the room with us, and we hear their voices in the laughter, and the "do-you-remember-whens." In remembering the past and participating in the present, the thread grows stronger, and lengthens to include the newest members of our family, wrapping around them ever-so- gently, and binding them to our hearts with love. We don't get to choose our families. God does the matching-up and the placement, and I am so thankful that He chose mine for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment